Friday, October 28, 2011

Shopping with Goats, er I mean Kids

I was recently at Target, just getting some basic supplies; you know the milk, soy milk, toys for the dog, and new Halloween decor. I find a trip to Target relaxing and one of my favorite mom's afternoons out.

Nothing will disturb my shopping bliss, not even the screaming children or the people talking on their cell phones, or the cranky sales clerks. I'm there so much that I have my favorite clerks and they are never cranky. LOL

So there I was on the bread aisle (not on the list, but you never know, some bread could be on sale) when I met up with the first screaming toddler. He was apparently demanding frozen waffles . . . oh and out of the shopping cart where his mom had him pinned down with the seat belt. I could see by the look on her face she was not enjoying her venture to Target. I wanted to whisper to her that I've been there, done that, and didn't even get a t-shirt.

Photo from: www.life123.com
It brought back memories of my children demanding things, or my youngest who did his own shopping. I once reached the check out counter and there were tampons, lots of candy, a container of muscle builder powder, some shoes (not in his size since he couldn't read yet), and best of all, some condoms (the containers are very pretty you know). That's when I started making him ride in the cart, regardless of his whining about walking or wanting.

At the grocery store I would also make him ride in the cart, usually in the back. This only sounds like a good plan until you get to the checkout stand and the clerk offers to get you a new package of hamburger because yours has holes in it. I assure you, it was my son, merrily decorating the package by poking little holes with his tiny fingers. Or the brick of cheddar that had a bite out of it. She offered to get me a new cheese, I told her that was my son. The bread package was a little squashed and she automatically said, "Your son?" Um yup. He was like a little goat that day, eating everything. He ate crackers from the package, took bites out of the apples, and sat on the toilet paper until it was smooshed flat.

But I, crazy as it sounds, miss those days. I often imagined what my offspring thought about a huge store like Safeway -- literally you could buy anything there. And to a toddler, that's magic, until the mean mommy won't buy sugary, teeth decaying cereal. So rude.

Other peoples screaming children don't bother me either, I have nothing but sympathy from the tired looking mommas. People talking loudly on their cell phones are just annoying and make me want to follow them around to find out what happened to great aunt Thelma that had gall bladder surgery; it's like a story you never hear the ending.

from: www.sdkacm.com
As a final note, my children are almost grown up and instead of going to the store to throw things in the cart, they leave me notes on the fridge with their lists of "need to haves" or "we're out of." I still refuse to buy sugary cereal and I often only buy want is on my list. I do believe the goats learned the fine art of list making. Smart goats!

2 comments:

  1. All so very true! I have fond (in retrospect) memories of a certain little goat eating the middles out of a box of those peanut butter sandwich Girl Scout cookies while in the shopping cart. As for doing his own "shopping," that honor belongs to my then-future husband back in college, who sneaked a pack of Depends into my cart. Ah, good times... Thanks for reminding me of them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the little goats like to mess with our minds. I hope you told grown up toad that you were glad he was getting himself Depends. That you were tired of his wetting the bed. Jokes on you, Buster! LOL

    ReplyDelete